Descriptive Reflection/Letter of intro


    Dear Professor Brad,

                                    I would like to take this time to introduce myself. In doing so, I hope to better familiarize myself with you and my course mates and also reflect on what motivated me to start pursuing robotics as a career choice. Hopefully this reflection will help inspire and motivate me to persevere and persist for the next four years.

I graduated with a mechatronics diploma from Temasek Polytechnic, but mostly performed rather poorly and only came to my senses in the final year of poly. 

Prior to university, I refined my mechanical skills in a automated door systems company for about 5 months. I was also given an opportunity to enhance my communication skills in a recruiting firm for 7 months till I was called to serve the nation for 2 years. After slogging through national Service I am now ready to tackle new hardships in RSE.

While carrying out missions in NS, I realised the capacity of human beings could not fully meet our demanding and challenging mission objectives . I hope to someday create an autonomous system which can make up for these flaws. This system will hopefully reduce the work strain for existing servicemen and complete tasks in environments deemed too hazardous for regular flesh and bones.

I am able to relate well to some people's personal or work issues and am able to craft out suitable responses or solutions to their problems based on my previous experiences with such issues.

For instance, there was a time I had a friend who struggled with balancing his gaming addiction and studies. I was able to share what I know as I used to struggle with the same issue to help him get back on track and figure out his priorities. 

I struggle with speaking or presenting to people I am unfamiliar with, especially in large groups. Adapting to new environments has always been challenging for me as I have the fear of burning bridges, especially at the beginning of new journeys.

Through the course of this module, I hope to get comfortable speaking and presenting to large groups. I also hope to pick up effective communication skills so I am able to share my opinions with my peers in a reasonable, logical and professional manner. 

Best Regards,

Caleb


Revised 26/09

Commented Blogs: Akmal, Stephanie, Janaish

Comments

  1. The email is well explained and easy to understand.
    Just some points to take note of
    1. I feel that too many line breaks have been used. I believe it will look neater, and shorter with lesser line breaks.
    2. pursuing was spelled wrongly in the first paragraph
    3. 3rd paragraph; "an" automated.
    Great job bringing your point across for us to know you better Caleb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The email is focused on the points required without any extra unnecessary information.
    It was clear on delivering its message which is to introduce himself.

    There are a few errors in the email such as:
    The missing of capitalising of "National Service" in the sentence "After slogging through national Service"
    I feel that the sentence "I worked at a Automated Door Systems company for 5 months, and then another 7 months in a recruiting firm till I was called to serve the nation for 2 years.", the phrase "and then another" is misused as the time was spent at a different company and not the same one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a very good time reading this email Caleb! Very clear and straight to the point!
    However there are a few flaws that i have identified in this email :)
    1)"I worked at a Automated Door Systems company for 5 months" Since the letter a is a vowel, "an" should be used in this sentence instead of "a"
    2)"reasonable,logical and professional" There should be a comma placed before the word "and"(Run-on sentence & Comma splice)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Caleb,

    Thank you for the detailed letter. I appreciate the rich content aligned with the brief, the fairly clear organization and generally effective language use. In particular, I appreciate your effort to introduce yourself to me and your classmates in a way that is memorable. You do this with an honest discussion that has many significant points. One is the way you shared the way you helped your colleague with his gaming issues. You also detail your communication weakness in terms of speaking in large groups. I hope our module can give you some assistance in conquering that fear.

    In terms of language use, there are a couple areas to take note of. One is that you overuse caps: Robotics, Automated Door Systems and Poly are all common nouns and not names. As mentioned by another reader, you could also organize your ideas in mpre substantial paragraphs.

    I look forward to reading more of your writing this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Paraphrasing a phrase from Marc Riemer, Faculty of Engineering, Monash University (2007)

Critical Reflection